1) Christmas. The fog was too thick; the rain, loud. “Pull over,” she said. “Wait for it to clear.”
2) “We’re already on the highway. Almost there,” he said, patting the ring in his pocket.
3) He never listened. “I want to tell you something before we get there,” she said, hand on stomach.
4) The car jerked to the left, the windows shattered. Stop.
5) The other driver was fine. A cut. A bruise. The accident woke him up. “Sarah…” It rained.
6) He called from his hospital bed, desperate for her voice, her hand, her breath. “SARAH!”
7) “I have some bad news,” the doctor said. He never listened. The fog was too thick.